Half-Nekkid Thursday #4


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Posting this HNT contribution early, as I have three and a half weeks more of gainful employment left and I want to leave on my own terms - instead of getting fired for going in late. My last 3 posts included pics and stories of Jimmy, Audrey and Stan. Don't have a name for my bloodshot left eye... maybe you can help me name it.

Right now, most of you are jumping to the obvious conclusions as to why my eyes are bloodshot. My eyes have been bloodshot since I was 10 years old. This was the result of swimming. Swimming in chlorinated pools. Swimming in the sea. Swimming in jungle streams.

In fact, many a birthday as a boy in Malaysia was spent swimming in jungle streams. Most kids had birthday parties - I had birthday picnics in the jungle with my friends. My parents would pack up us kids (friends and cousins) into a couple of cars and drive out into the jungle outside the city.

Getting there was half the fun. A hard left off the main highway, there would be a dirt road that veered into the jungle for about half a mile. When the dirt road ended, we tumbled out of the car and hiked in several hundred yards heading toward the sound of a jungle stream. Monkeys would be jibber-jabbering in the trees as we hurried down the jungle path. The closer we got, the louder the sound of the stream... the less jibbering of monkeys.

Finally, the thick jungle around us would magically seem to open up on our intended destination. A picnic spot would be picked on the banks. Mats spread and us kids excitedly jumped into the cold clear waters to frolic. My father would always caution us with the same instructions. "If you need to kenching (pee) go downstream... don't do it in the jungle." If one of my not-yet-hip-to-the-jungle friends would quizz "Why not the jungle?", my father would launch into a gentle lecture about "respecting the spirits." This would instantly ignite a barrage of "What spirits? Why?" among the kids. His eyes would twinkle and with a sly smile he would say, "I'll tell you after lunch." He always kept his word.

Food was usually of the street variety. Nasi Lemak, coconut rice topped with cucumber, eggs and a good hot sambal, served on a banana leaf. Drinks - iced home-made lime juice. Papaya with a squeeze of lime for dessert.

After lunch and tired after swimming, we would lay on the mats under the shade. My father would then tell us about how each living thing had a spirit living in it. That if you did not respect the trees and the rocks and the jungle you were being disrespectful to the spirits... and you would have to pay. This was usually his cue to dive into a couple of jungle "ghost stories" that would scare us even on a sunny afternoon.

These excursions would usually begin at about 9 in the morning and we would leave the jungle by 3 in the afternoon. The cars driving back usually packed with sleepy tired children. I onced asked my mother what inspired them to organize these birthday picnics. "Economics.", she would say quite simply. "None of those birthday picnics cost your father and me more than 50 ringgit."

And the bloodshot eyes? Our family doctor informed me years later that it was a part of a protective coating developed naturally to protect my eyes from the different waters I swam in as a kid. The salt of the sea, the chlorine of the swimming pools and the minerals plus some animal pee in the jungle streams. Someone should have told them where to kenching.

For more half-nekkid thursday visit the great Emperor Osbasso's site.


48 Responses to “Half-Nekkid Thursday #4”

  1. Blogger Andi 

    I love your stories. *sigh*

  2. Blogger HS 

    An amazing story once again!

  3. Blogger Osbasso 

    I like the evil eye. And wonderful stories, once again!

    And thanks for the title of Emperor! First time that one's cropped up!

  4. Blogger BTExpress 

    That is an evil looking eye and I say you call it Freddie. You know, like Freddie Cruger (sp). He is evil looking too.

  5. Blogger Unknown 

    Your stories are always so enchanting- I try to close my eyes (after I've read it of course, silly) and visualize about where you're writing about. As for the name for the bloodshot eye....how about Armin? Armin the Bloodshot Eye. I have a broken blood vessel above my lip that looks like a pimple. A pimple I"ve had for 19 years. Thanks for the great pic and story- if it wasn't for my incredible fears of
    a. flying
    b. heat
    c. bugs
    d. food with "flavor"
    I'd be checking out this Malaysia place....Happy HNT!

  6. Blogger lecram sinun 

    andi, addict & hs - thank you, thank you and "terima kasih" (thank you in Malay)

    opaco, obasso and btexpress- yup, it is. My friends would contend that the rest of me is pretty evil as well.

    obasso - there's something quite Roman in nature about HNT. Emperor is a natural fit. Afterall, you are conquring the blog world with HNT!

    foxglove - you forgot snakes for your list. It is a beautiful part of the world. I haven't been back in over 13 years and there have been mega changes. I would be a stranger in my homeland - except for the jungle and the sea, that is.

    The name-the-bloodshot-eye poll now stands at:
    FREDDIE
    ARMIN

  7. Blogger kimananda 

    Great eye, and great story! You are fun to read. As for what to name your eye, I would like to nominate the name Ivan (pronounced 'Eye-van'...pretty bad, but it is the best I can do at the moment).

  8. Blogger lecram sinun 

    Got a sticky "s" key. Hit thesack and cya tomorrow.

  9. Blogger Unknown 

    Hmmm........

  10. Blogger Lelly 

    Hey cuz, how come qwe didn't spend more time together as kids in Malaysia? Guess English papa meant we had a 'colonialist' lifestyle, and, nice as it was, your stories make me realise what I missed out on. great post, scary pic, quite an eyeful...so call it 'Gustave' as in Gustave Eiffel (eyeful)...geddit??

  11. Blogger BlazngScarlet 

    You're stories are the best!

    I see you lookin at me! ;)

  12. Blogger aughra 

    You have the best stories - I think this is the only HNT to involve monkeys.

    You're the best.

  13. Blogger lecram sinun 

    kimananda, might be david, blazngfyre and aughra - thanks for stopping by.

    lelly - I think the fact that we are hanging out now in a cyber sort of way is cool as well.

    The name-the-bloodshot-eye poll now stands at:
    FREDDIE
    ARMIN
    IVAN
    GUSTAVE

  14. Blogger Margaret 

    such an awesome story...

    happy HNT!! :)

    peace...

  15. Blogger The Funky Bee 

    Lecram - I think you need to write a book. I love reading about your days in Malaysia. Very nice stories - your family sounds so wonderful and a great HNT pic!

  16. Blogger HappyKap 

    Nice pic! Happy HNT!

  17. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Wow, great pic man. Cool story too.

  18. Blogger Erik 

    Great picture and awesome story!

    Happy HNT!

  19. Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com 

    Cool picture and great story! Now I want a jungle birthday party!!

  20. Blogger The Smoking Redhead 

    Nice coffee colored eyes.

  21. Blogger Chick 

    Wonderful jungle story...I'll be sure not to disrespect any spirits by kenching upstream.

    Your eyes are foreboding.

  22. Blogger clara* 

    very nice.....

    i love eye shots.

    yes. very. foreboding.

  23. Blogger airplanejayne 

    I kinda like the name

    Sty.

    Sty, the eye.

    heh-heh

    oh, btw, great story!

  24. Blogger *** 

    Great story and picture for HNT! See you next week!

  25. Blogger Heather 

    I love your stories as much as your pictures. That was fantastic. Happy HNT!

  26. Blogger AMS 

    another great story - lets hope you dont start running out of stories or body parts!

  27. Blogger lecram sinun 

    monkey, happykap, erik, shhhh, mel mega, rachel, APJ, kristi, heather - thanks a whole bunch

    mel mega - jungle birthday parties are the best!

    the funky bee - I was a playwright... and hoping to be again.

    chick & clara - foreboding... good word.

    APJ - I'll add that to the poll.

    rachel - coffee colored :) first time it's been called that... I like it.

    The name-the-bloodshot-eye poll now stands at:
    FREDDIE
    ARMIN
    IVAN
    GUSTAVE
    STY

  28. Blogger J 

    You're stories rock Lecram. I really enjoyed this one- even though your eye spooked me when the page loaded. LOL. :)

  29. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Very cool!

  30. Blogger Trashed 

    Didn't your father tell you not to kenching on the trees lest the tree "datuks" do things to your yet-to-be-revealed moniker for your batang?

    Did you go to Ulu Yam or Ulu Langat to picnic ? Alas, while the spots may still be there, they are no longer pristine as they once were.

    Nasi lemak after the swim ? Yummy. Papaya with a squeeze of lime ? Hits the spot.

  31. Blogger lecram sinun 

    ams, princess steph, yoj, lance, paul - thanks for coming by... glad you liked it.

    yoj - yeah, it is a pretty spooky eye.

    trashed - my "batang" already has a moniker- several. Went to all those places including Gombak and places that are off the highway to Pahang. Yup... got a dose of the "datuk" stories as well.

  32. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Yup, had Piggy doing a few tricks to my batang in a stream once..... heh heh.

    CHEKAI the eye.

  33. Blogger armalicious 

    Love the story! You always have excellent ones to go with your pic! And I like your eyebrow...there are obviously two and I like it when men realize that that's how it should be. :)

    Happy HNT!

  34. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Oh, rather I say your eye's CHEKAI.

  35. Blogger Stephanie 

    Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing your childhood memories! I like the "eye" pic! Very cool!

  36. Blogger Maverick 

    that's so cool to have birthday picnics. In the jungle no less!
    And I love the way you told that story. Sounds like you pick something up from your father.


    Happy HNT

    Spitting in a Wishing Well

  37. Blogger Mellissa 

    Great story - told under your "watchful" eye above me....

    Happy HNT!!

    Ladybug

  38. Blogger Trashed 

    Sun Boi,

    You don't have to be that specific on your trysts with Miss Piggy.

    Chekai betul.

  39. Blogger airplanejayne 

    Trashed:

    --so I guess we should call him Kermit instead of kien?

  40. Blogger Mustang 

    OK, I go away on a short vacation, and all hell breaks loose?

    What is this about spammers? Word verification? Somebody clue me in!

    M

    PS Nice eye thingie there Bucko!

  41. Blogger ~art 

    Awsome story for the pic!

  42. Anonymous Anonymous 

    batang's a walking stick, innit? heh heh.

  43. Blogger Trashed 

    APJ

    Can't call him Kermit though he does live like a hermit.

    The Sun Boi has gone way over the rainbow and out of the pond and Ms Piggy is but a memory. I can attest that she is a real person and yes, Kien, I do believe she liked walks with you.

    Lecram, this is sooooo baddddd. Oh well - surf's up.

  44. Blogger sdk 

    Great Picture! I love eye shots. Eyes tell so much about a person!

    Sorry I'm Late!

    Happy HNT!!!

    sdk

  45. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Trashed, I actually had a call from her last November and had a long chat. She wanted to do the Rogue but couldn't due to family commitments. Her sis is married and living in Marin County. And also, we always get together when I'm in Malaysia, as did we 2 years ago. Just very close friends of course! No more escapades with the walking stick!

  46. Blogger lecram sinun 

    everydayfantasia - yeah, I thought it was odd when my doctor said that too.

    kien - I thought that was squealing I heard downstream... thanks for clearing that up.

    amanda - I'm proud I have 2 eyebrows.

    queen of pink - speaking yourheart and mind is hardly crap.

    snavylyn - thank you... with the passage of time and upon reflection I've manage to appreciate my memories more.

    sta-cie - my father was a master... if I inherited one tenth of his talent, I'm pretty blessed.

    mellisa - if my "watchful eye" was actually in the same room as you... it would probably into a "lustful eye." Thank you, anyway.

    mrs.t - hope you're feeling better soon.

    art, mike & sdk - thanks for popping by... hope to see you here again soon.

    APJ - Kien... cos he kien and he will.

    trashed & kien - I respect both your opinions and the right to express them freely here.

    cheers ya'll

  47. Blogger Carlyjayjay 

    That was beautiful.

  48. Blogger Unknown 

    sounds like you get your story-telling ability from your dad :)

    The twin towers of KL remind me a little of the missing ones in NYC, They frame the skyline...


About me

  • I'm lecram sinun
  • From California, United States
  • My profile

    da lecram cam


    click button to view Lecram Cam when online

    da chat de lecram

    want to chat with me? click chat thang below to see if I'm in.

    CHAT THANG

    da skype


    Call me!
    If you have Skype... you may be able to video chat with me
    dacount

    junglewebssm1
    playrogue07a

Previous posts

    kienlim.com clr blk bg

da archives

da blogroll


ATOM 0.3

da picture daze de lecram


da play excerpts de lecram


da half-nekkid thursday





Counter
Web Site Counters