Picture Daze #9 - tales in two cities


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Disclaimer: This edition of Picture Daze utilizes photos from other sources to facilitate the telling of the story. ... which happens to be true

1967, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The first time I saw him, he was emerging out of a huge dumpster wearing a semi toothless grin delighted in his paperbags filled with empty bottles. I was all of 8 years old at the time and waiting at the parking lot behind the offices where my father worked.

This triangular parking area was nested behind the High Court, the Masjid (mosque) Jame and a block of shops. The unobservent eye would only see an open parking lot anchored to the north by a covered parking area where the cars of the High Court magistrates were kept. This little sliver of real estate however was a world unto itself. This was the original center of the city. 100 yards away, tin was discovered in the 1800's at the confluence of the Klang and Gombak rivers from which the vibrant city of Kuala Lumpur (Mud Junction) would emerge.

The parking lot was worked during the day by "the 4 abangs" (big brothers) who earned their living washing cars and providing valet parking due to the limited space the area provided. One of them was our one-handed driver, Mamat, but his is a story for another time.

A teh tarik stall was situated under the outer over-hang of the covered garage run by a good natured Indian Muslim man and was the hub of choice for the various office workers on their breaks.

At around 10 AM the Chinese chee cheong fun man would roll in on his trishaw cart followed soon after by the crusty old Malay nasi lemak lady. Over the next 3 hours the parking lot would evolve into a bustling dining hub with the best that street food could offer.

It was in this setting that I befriended Playboy - a Chinese man in his 60's with a ragged bush jacket, a floppy jungle hat holding down long stringy hair, a wispy "fu manchu"and a twinkle in his eye. This street person kept his entire belongings in 3 bundles in one of the covered parking stalls where he slept at night. I would find out later that the magistrates knew him well and always left that stall vacant for him. He supported his survival by pulling out bottles and cardboard boxes from dumpsters and selling them at Central Market... practicing recycling before it ever became fashionable or a movement.
(The High Court)
As I usually had an hour wait in this area after physiotherapy sessions nearby, Playboy and I soon became fast friends. He would always take the time to tell me stories, jokes and share what little he had to help me while away the time. Understanding very well that a whole hour was an eternity to a little boy. Often he would offer me bruised fruit he found in the dumpsters... always washing them and cutting away the bruised part before handing me a piece. He knew I loved mango and often when I turned up there would be a mango peeled, cut and ready for my consumption. I found out from "the abangs" much later that these mangos were never found but bought. I should have caught a clue because he never ate mangos... in fact it was one of the few fruits he didn't care much for. (Masjid Jame)

Whenever he told me a story he would make a clicking sound with his mouth... as if to punctuate important sections to his story. It may have just been a tick but to a little boy it was theatre. He also had a wonderful cackling laugh that was infectious. I saw him 3 times a week for 2 years. My parents never discouraged this friendship which taught me that a friend is a friend no matter who or what their social standing was. Besides, all our dealings were out in an open parking lot with lots of people around.

Over that span of time I had heard rumors from others. Some said he was once a high powered Oxford educated lawyer, others said he was an eccentric millionaire, yet others claimed that he had been institutionalized. To me he was a kooky and funny old man who happened to be my friend.

Early in 1969 he disappeared for a whole month. No one knew where he was. When he did reappear he had changed. He was more reserved and he just didn't look well. We would still chat... but he was different. There was a spark missing. I would later discover a bit of his past from my father and the reason for his antic demeanor.

In May 1969 political race riots broke out in Malaysia. We were under curfew for several months. When things calmed down I went back with my father to find Playboy. He wasn't there. The parking stall that used to be reserved for him housed a black Mercedes Benz. It was then Playboy's story began to unfold.
(Here is a rendering of Playboy I did from memory.)

Apparently he had actually once been a millionaire Tin Baron in the state of Perak. Polygamy was not outlawed in the country and he had 2 wives. Through a gambit the 2 women had conspired to gain control of his holdings. They succeeded and the old man blew a fuse and had to be institutionalized. When he was released he skipped town to get lost in the big city of Kuala Lumpur. He had successfully stayed under the radar for close to 15 years. Then early in 1969 they found him again and re-institutionalized him in a bid to get the rest of the cash that they thought was squirreled away. They found nothing and he was released... broken by the whole experience.

After the riots social services picked him up and put him in again. He died there 3 months later. Years later I was convinced he died from a broken heart and the loss of his freedom.

1989, Fresno, California. I had been commissioned to adapt "The Little Match Girl" by Hans Christian Anderson for the stage. (BTW, this was my first commissioned piece.) I only agreed to do it because I hated the original story - poor little girl hallucinates in the snow and dies! So, in adapting it I decided to "fix" the story but still maintain the spirit of it. I set it in 2 time periods - one being the turn of the century, both of which were set in Fresno. In the contemporary time period I decided to pay tribute to Playboy by creating a street character named Percy.

Anyway, the opening night premiere of the play was scheduled for the day after Thanksgiving at the Memorial Auditorium. We had had a rather iffy final dress rehearsal that afternoon. Two hours before showtime, my friend Zonthar (who was playing the Percy character) and I went down to a local store nearby to get some cigarettes. It has to be explained that Mugahlis was a grocery store where the local downtown winos came to get their "supplies" from. This usually occurred at 8 in the morning and 5 in the evening.
We are standing in line to pay for our purchases behind 6 or 7 other people... 5 of which are winos armed with their bottles of Night Train or Thunderbird. Earlier, Zonthar and I had a discussion about how to play the part of Percy... a result of jitters for opening night and a shakey final dress. As we stood in line... the man in front of us (a wino) turned around and beamed at us. He pointed to his sweater and said,

"Look at this. My daughter gave this to me yesterday. Can you believe that? She invited me over for Thanksgiving. We had dinner. Look at this. She gave it to me. I haven't seen her in 10 years. I didn't even know she was married. I have grandchildren now, you know? I don't knw if I'll see her again but she gave this to me. She may have bought it at a thrift store... but she gave it to me. She gave me something. She gave this to me... look at it."

He then paid for his Thunderbird and as he walked out of the store he turned, smiled again and said, "Happy Thanksgiving." As he left, I couldn't help thinking about Playboy and how differently his family situation played out so many years ago.

Zonthar and I returned to the theater and opening night was wonderful! The cast was stellar and Zonthar performed the part of Percy with a quirky dignity and pathos. Years later I used our encounter with the man in the store for another play.

Each encounter took place 20 years apart... yet were somehow connected. These 2 gentlemen from different times in my life and different parts of the world provided me with material and inspiration for 2 different plays. One play is titled "Bundle Of Wishes" and the other "The Holiday Show." My sincere thanks goes to both of them for the lessons in compassion they taught me. I hope I have honored them through my work. As a tribute to them and the season I will email PDF copies of both plays to the first 20 commenters to this post.

And so ends another edition of Picture Daze.

Labels:


19 Responses to “Picture Daze #9 - tales in two cities”

  1. Blogger Unknown 

    How incredibly sad and beautiful. I especially love that he would have mangos ready for the little boy who kept him company. Your parents must be special people indeed- most families (in this country anyway) would not only discourage such a friendship but probably call child protective services on the guy. I think it's wonderful that you have these memories of him and I think that right here is a pretty memorably eulogy- a man who fought against being institutionalized- something I can identify with, seeing how broken down my patients get over time. He was lucky to know you, Lecram, just as you were to know him. I bet he's smiling somewhere, warmly thinking how wonderful it is that a little boy whom he gave mangoes to remembers him after all this time. And a broken heart certainly kill. Thanks again for a wonderful read. Your blog always helps put things in perspective- I admire you and your outlook so very much. - kudos and applause from one of your number 1 fans (not in the creepy Misery way)

  2. Blogger lecram sinun 

    Thank you Foxy! The story doesn't quite end there... there'll be more tomorrow. :)

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    My question is....is it really that difficult to get plays from you for pleasure reading??

    Count me in anyway...I likes me a good writ play.

  4. Blogger Zonthar 

    Yay!!! Aerial photo of the actual Mud Junction!!!


    Okay, forgive me for asking something I should already remember, but which one was "The Holiday Show"? Was it one of the Met things? Oh well, I guess I've won a PDF of it anyway...

  5. Blogger lecram sinun 

    steph - yes, is the answer... but you're in.

    Zonthar - yup on the MET show... Fingers B did it.

  6. Blogger Dragion 

    Thank you for sharing your story of Playboy with us, a heartbreaking tale interlaced with light and love.

  7. Blogger Tish 

    Beautiful story, Lecram! Wouldn't it be just wonderful if somehow those men knew that they had inspired you to write these plays? They taught you some great lessons, but your parents taught you some even greater ones. I think it's wonderful that you were not discouraged from becoming friends with those in a social class less than your own. You should be so proud for the way that you were raised. It's a shame that more people aren't raised with those same values.

  8. Blogger Tish 

    You've been tagged again, Lecram. hehehe.

  9. Blogger ScarySquirrelMan 

    i decided not to read it. instead i skipped to the bottom and saw the prize thingy. can i get mangoes instead of a pdf?

  10. Blogger patrickteoh 

    HI lecram. thank you for a lovely story. I knew that little triangular patch of real estate well. Sadly, it is no longer there.

    I don't care for mangoes that much either. So can I have the plays instead? Thank you.

    Julius Caesar ended yesterday with a matinee show and the theatre was filled with fidgety, disinterested kids from the International School some of whom were reading that Shakepearean play for their school exams. They giggled when Caesar was stabbed. Said "Hi there!" to the actors as they exited a scene through the vormitory. One teenaged boy said loudly, "Yeah! ALRIGHT!" when Portia, played by Samantha Schubert (ex Miss Malaysia) came on stage. It felt like a Christmas pantomime. Also it gave me added reasons never to send any of my kids to international schools:-)

    The cast party was great. Lots of laughter and camaraderie and was the best party of the year. All in all it was a totally exhilarating experience being in Julius Caesar. However, some didn't like it as much as others...
    "Then there was the acting, if you can call it that. The only people who actually did any resemblance of acting was Patrick Teoh and Gavin Yap, and they were mediocre at best."

    But that's theatre.

  11. Blogger Sasha 

    not only are you lovely and talented lecram, but you've got a big heart as well. i admire you for that!

  12. Blogger patrickteoh 

    hi lecram. came back to read the comments here. and realised that I should not have posted the JC remarks here cos it's totally out of context. my apologies to all your visitors.

  13. Blogger KFarmer 

    that is really the beauty of life is it not? great story.

  14. Blogger lime 

    thank you so much for sharing this. it's really poignant and says something very good about your parents that they did not discourage the friendship. you and playboy brought joy to each other.

  15. Blogger lecram sinun 

    dragion - not one you've heard from me before, huh?

    paul - I hope I have.

    tish - a lot of people are quite unaware that they are an inspiration to others.

    patrick - Glad JC went well. Don't apologize. I think it's cool that some of my more famous actor friends gives insight into their world.

    kfarmer - it truley is.

    lime - it's one of the best things that my parents ever taught me.

  16. Blogger lecram sinun 

    sasha - :) selamat.

    ssm - I'll send you a pdf of a mango.

  17. Blogger airplanejayne 

    Lecram --
    great, great story! dontcha love how things just come back around?!?!?

    APj

  18. Blogger lecram sinun 

    apj - the circular aspects of life are always astounding! :)

  19. Blogger sirbarrett 

    Sad but wonderful story about friendship. These men showed a selfless generousity of their time and experience, and you recycled that like little-thought-of bottles for an excellent purpose, bringing your inspiration to fruition. This is as sweet as a mango! What an excellent tribute to them both.


About me

  • I'm lecram sinun
  • From California, United States
  • My profile

    da lecram cam


    click button to view Lecram Cam when online

    da chat de lecram

    want to chat with me? click chat thang below to see if I'm in.

    CHAT THANG

    da skype


    Call me!
    If you have Skype... you may be able to video chat with me
    dacount

    junglewebssm1
    playrogue07a

Previous posts

    kienlim.com clr blk bg

da archives

da blogroll


ATOM 0.3

da picture daze de lecram


da play excerpts de lecram


da half-nekkid thursday





Counter
Web Site Counters