A Question of Faiths


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



A recent comment by s t a c i e on a post below prompted me to give a little more thought to the recent news about how certain groups are pressuring retailers to use the word "Christmas" instead of "Holiday".

First, let me present the definition:

hol·i·day

()
  1. A day free from work that one may spend at leisure, especially a day on which custom or the law dictates a halting of general business activity to commemorate or celebrate a particular event.
  2. A religious feast day; a holy day.
  3. Chiefly British. A vacation. Often used in the phrase on holiday.
from [Middle English holidai, holy day, from Old English hlig dæg : hlig, holy; see holy + dæg, day; see day.]

Please take note of definition number 2 especially... and it's root.

I'm all for calling a Christmas Tree... a "Christmas Tree"... instead of a "Holiday Tree". That would be like calling a Manorah ... a candlabra. However, I think that "Happy Holidays" is totally appropriate. Afterall, the season is shared with "holy days" of several other faiths and belief systems.

I could write a cynical rant that would provide all sides of the issue with a good slap up the side of the head for everyone involved... but it just wouldn't be condusive to the spirit of the season.


3 Responses to “A Question of Faiths”

  1. Blogger lecram sinun 

    the_mrs - Yeah, I avoided it for a while myself... but found myself needing to express that it's really a non-issue.

  2. Blogger KFarmer 

    LS- I agree; Happy Holidays- Merry Christmas- what does it matter? Its the thought that counts.

    BTW- Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays & Cheers!!!

  3. Blogger thereminman 

    that's it, 'non-issue' along with several other 'should-be-non-issues' that one loud minority of the Christian faith seems to be getting their panties in a twist over.
    From the head of the National Church of Councils (and former congressman)Rev. Bob Edgar: "I think it's more important to put Christ back into our war planning than into our Christmas cards"
    ( I do take this to mean that there are more important arenas in which one should aspire to be more "Christ-like" ---not that we should be invoking Christ in our war-making[not that we would do that in this country])---wow,
    did I just go OFF or what?

    I understand The_Mrs.' wish to not touch this hot-button---but nearly every night in bed that hot button comes to mind(wait, that doesn't sound right)---that's why my Rogue show is gonna be called the "'Ill-Advised' Solo Show"---I'm gonna touch that button for a full 40 minutes! (maybe I better reconsider the PG rating?)


About me

  • I'm lecram sinun
  • From California, United States
  • My profile

    da lecram cam


    click button to view Lecram Cam when online

    da chat de lecram

    want to chat with me? click chat thang below to see if I'm in.

    CHAT THANG

    da skype


    Call me!
    If you have Skype... you may be able to video chat with me
    dacount

    junglewebssm1
    playrogue07a

Previous posts

    kienlim.com clr blk bg

da archives

da blogroll


ATOM 0.3

da picture daze de lecram


da play excerpts de lecram


da half-nekkid thursday





Counter
Web Site Counters