just the piths


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



So, part of my madness this weekend is this. I could have spent the time cleaning up and rehearsing for the barbecue tomorrow. To be fair to myself (and I try to be most of the time) I did go to the local farmers market, bought a mess of fresh veges and cooked up a great dhall curry for Mum and me for lunch. After which I watched the first bonus disk of the "Gladiator" extended edition (great stuff btw) and napped.

When I got up I began surfing the net for pith helmets! WTF? Some of you know that I already own one... exactly like the top one here to the right... infact I'm wearing it in my avatar.


I was looking for something like this (similar to the ones used during the Boer Wars) because frankly, I always kinda liked the shape of it. Found several sites with some wildly differing prices. But being the frugal shopper that I am... I kept looking. My heart pounding faster and my breath quickening as I surfed from site to site. With each site my obsession grew. The challenge was to see how many models were really available on the market. I noticed that mostly army surplus and the higher priced hat stores were carrying these.



Then I found this, a Wolseley Pith - it was instant love! I had to have it! I kept surfing and even found the site to the company that makes them in Vietnam. (They have a new line that made my head spin... can't wait for those to hit the market!) I already knew a little history about the pith helmets and that these were all the real deal made out of cork. Remember, I own the top one... and I had been burned in the past by replicas made out of pressed paper. Great to look at but useless from a practical standpoint. Yeah, like pressed paper was going to stand up to a tropical downpour... Jeez!


Anyway, when I came across this... I was having a serious case of the vapors! (Truman owned one of these - in white!!) Now if I could only find a site that sold them at a reasonable price. Would I? Could I? I DID! Yes, I bought all three of them... and it only set me back about $60 with shipping! I wanted to light a cigarette from the afterglow. Perhaps I should have... but I continued to surf.

Then I came across this (on the bottom) ... the Indian Pith, sometimes known as the "bombay bowler"... but the 3 sites that carried it... had priced it way beyond my present budget. This was the pith of all piths! This was what I was really looking for in the first place (O.K.... next to the one that was used in the Boer War)! I mean, look at the elegance of that beauty!!! (Anyone want to buy this for me... yeah, I didn't think so.) Now, I can only pine until I get it. ::sob:: ... I should have cleaned up and rehearsed instead.


Don't look at me like that! You have your... shoes... or baseball cards... I've got my piths!

EDIT: noon: There seems to be some interest in the piths. I may be starting a bit of a fashion trend here... LOL... go figure! So, here are a couple of links to some sites where you can get them. This one has a great selection but the prices are almost double from this one that has less of a selection... and they come from the SAME manufacturer! Perhaps I should go into business myself. Am I a frugal shopper or what?? If you do buy one... send me a pic of you wearing it


0 Responses to “just the piths”


About me

  • I'm lecram sinun
  • From California, United States
  • My profile

    da lecram cam


    click button to view Lecram Cam when online

    da chat de lecram

    want to chat with me? click chat thang below to see if I'm in.

    CHAT THANG

    da skype


    Call me!
    If you have Skype... you may be able to video chat with me
    dacount

    junglewebssm1
    playrogue07a

Previous posts

    kienlim.com clr blk bg

da archives

da blogroll


ATOM 0.3

da picture daze de lecram


da play excerpts de lecram


da half-nekkid thursday





Counter
Web Site Counters